Definition of love:
1. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
2. A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.
3.
1. Sexual passion.
2. Sexual intercourse.
3. A love affair.
4. A strong predilection or enthusiasm: a love of language.
5. The object of such an enthusiasm: The outdoors is her greatest love.
4. An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.
5. A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.
6. An expression of one's affection: Send him my love.
7.
1. A strong predilection or enthusiasm: a love of language.
2. The object of such an enthusiasm: The outdoors is her greatest love.
8. Love Mythology Eros or Cupid.-- Dictionary.com
Definition of love: 1) a. (1) a strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties. (2) attraction based on sexual desire; affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) affection based on admiration, benevolence or common interests. b. an assurance of love. 2) a warm attachment, enthusiasm or devotion. 3) a. the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration. b. a beloved person. 4) a. unselfish loyal, and benevolent concern for the good of another (1) the fatherly concern of God for man. (2) a brotherly concern for others. b. a person's adoration of God. 5) a god or personification of love. -- Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary
Definition of love: to be fond of, or desire. 1) a deep and tender feeling of affection for or attachment to or devotion to a person or persons 2) an expression of one's love or affection 3) a feeling of brotherhood and goodwill toward other people 4) (a) a strong liking for or affection (b) the object of such liking 5) (a) a strong, usually passionate, affection of one person, for another, based on sexual attraction (b) the person who is the object of such an affection; sweetheart; lover 6) (a) God's benevolent concern for mankind (b) man's devout attachment to God -- New World Dictionary of the American Language
Definition of affection: a state of feeling. 1) emotional state or tendency; disposition or feeling. 2) a fond or tender feeling; warm liking 3) a disease ailment 4) an attribute or property of a thing -- New World Dictionary of the American Language
Definition of obsession: 1) the act of an evil spirit in possessing or ruling a person 2) (a) the fact or state of being obsessed with an idea, desire, emotion, etc. (b) such a persistent idea, desire, emotion, etc. especially one that cannot be got rid of by reasoning.
Definition of obsession: 1) a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling. 2) an emotion or idea causing obsession. -- Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary
Definition of obsession:
–noun
1. the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.
2. the idea, image, desire, feeling, etc., itself.
3. the state of being obsessed.
4. the act of obsessing.
[Origin: 1505–15; < L obsessiōn- (s. of obsessiō) blockade, siege, equiv. to obsess(us)
-- Dictionary.com
Bible definition of love:
Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices at right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge it will pass away.
Quotes
"You call it madness, but I call it love" ~Don Byas
To me, Justin's side was calling it madness, and Emma's side was calling it love.
"All love that has not a friendship at it's base is like a mansion built upon the sand" ~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Heathcliff and Cathy's whatever-you-want-to-call-it (obsession/love/something-or-other) definitely had a friendship at the base of it, because they were basically brother and sister, and they had a long history of getting into trouble together, and, after so many shared experiences, it is kind of impossible NOT to have a friendship.
"Infantile love follows the principle 'I love because I am loved'
Mature love follows the principle 'I am loved because I love'
Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you'
Mature love says 'I need you because I love you'"
~ Erich Fromm
What do you think?? Mature or immature??
Bri
PS. EVERYONE WHO READS THIS AND HAS AN OPINION, PLEASE RESPOND!! (if you aren't in the British Literature class, I am sorry... but it is a very interesting discussion topic, and I just had to post this stuff)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Based on the Biblical definition of love I still think Catherine and Heathcliff's love is immature...and you can't get a more accurate source than the Bible!
good point. Is it love even if it is immature?
Bri
I like the discussion. It is a very old discussion, and one that a person can learn alot from.
Often times love between a man and a woman isn't one thing or the other, I think, but a combination of multiple types of love. From seeing bits of the movie, and reading reviews of the book, though, I tend to agree with Justin that the Heathcliff and Catherine romance was mostly immature love.
I think that when choosing a mate, the most important thing is to make sure your mature love(or commitment love) is greater than your immature love(or passionate love) towards the person you are considering marrying. To sum it up: "Commitment before passion."
An excellent book on the subject that I highly recommend is called "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" by Joshua Harris. It looks at love from a Christian perspective, which explains why there are so many divorces today(where people follow a blind passion towards a person without any real commitment to the person)
And yes, you are right, this is who you guessed it is, Bri. :P
~Qubert
Post a Comment